- Patient Information
- Health Professionals
Mark A A Crowther MB ChB, FRCS, FRCS (Trauma and Orthopaedics)
Mr Crowther is a NHS Consultant in Trauma and Orthopaedic Surgery at the North Bristol NHS Trust. At North Bristol he works in the new Brunel building at Southmead Hospital, Bristol. Mr Crowther specialises in shoulder and elbow surgery and sports injuries. He uses both up to date arthroscopic techniques as well as open surgery including a wide spectrum of shoulder replacements.
Secretary: Emily Richards
Tel: 0117 3171790
Mr Crowther is a member of the British Orthopaedic Association, The British Elbow and Shoulder Society and World Orthopaedic Concern. He is also Chairman of the South West and South Wales Shoulder and Elbow Group. Since January 2012 he has been the Training Programme Director for the 60 training registrars in the Severn Deanery of Health Education England South West (HEE SW).
Mr Crowther does not regularly undertake medico-legal expert witness work but welcomes enquiries in his field of expertise. He is not registered for VAT and therefore limits the amount of work he undertakes in this field.
Research Interests and Publications
Mr Crowther has published in peer reviewed journals and his research interests include shoulder instability due to bone loss, shoulder replacement, the management of proximal humerus fractures and reconstruction of the fractured clavicle and dislocated acromioclavicular joint. Mr Crowther continues to publish research and articles on current Orthopaedic Practice.
- Open Reduction and Plate Fixation Versus Nonoperative Treatment for Displaced Midshaft Clavicular Fractures: A Multicenter, Randomized, Controlled Trial
CM Robinson, EB Goudie, IR Murray, PJ Jenkins, MA Ahktar, EO Read, CJ Foster, K Clark, AJ Brooksbank, A Arthur, MAA Crowther, IN Packham, TJ Chesser
J Bone Joint Surg Am, 2013 Sep 04;95(17):1576-1584
- First time traumatic anterior shoulder dislocation: A review of current management.
Smith GC, Chesser TJS, Packham IN, Crowther MAA
Injury Vol 44, Issue 4, Pages 406-408 (April 2013)
- Blockade of the suprascapular nerve: a radiological and cadaveric study comparing landmark and ultrasound-guided blocking techniques
Lancaster S, Clark D, Redpath Y, Hughes D, Crowther M, Lewis S
Shoulder & Elbow vol 5, issue 3, pg 173-177 (July 2013)
- Conservative management versus open reduction and internal fixation for mid-shaft clavicle fractures in adults – the Clavicle Trial: study protocol for a multicentre randomized controlled trial.
Trials. 2011 Feb 28; 12:57
- Beware of glenoid dysplasia mimicking bone trauma in the injured shoulder.
Seagger RM, Loveridge J, Crowther MAA. North Bristol NHS Trust
Int J Shoulder Surg 2009;3:37-40
- Neuropathic shoulder in syringomyelia treated with resurfacing arthroplasty of humeral head and soft-tissue lining of glenoid: A case report
Crowther MAA, Bell SN. Melbourne Shoulder & Elbow Centre, Australia
Journal of Shoulder and Elbow Surgery; November 2007 (Vol. 16, Issue 6, Pages e38-e40)
- Beware the cast syndrome
Orthopaedics International (Fracture) March 2005; 2: 13-14
- Propagation of Stress Fracture of the Patella
Crowther MAA, Mandal A, Sarangi PP. Bristol Royal Infirmary.
Br J Sports Med, Feb 2005; 39: e6
- Superior Mesenteric Artery Syndrome following surgery for scoliosis
Crowther MAA, Webb PJ, Eyre-Brook IA. Musgrove Park Hospital, Taunton.
Spine; Vol 27, No 24, E528-533. 15 December 2002
- A prospective randomised study to compare Extracorporal Shockwave Therapy and Steroid Injection in the treatment of tennis elbow.
Crowther MAA, Huma H, Rooker GD, Bannister GC. Cheltenham General Hospital and Southmead Hospital, Bristol.
Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery [Br] 2002; 84-B; 678-9
Published review as Patient-Orientated Evidence that Matters (POEMs)
BMJ 2002; 325. 14 December 2002
- The effect of legislation on discharge from hospital of patients with proximal femoral fractures 1990-1997.
Crowther MAA, Bannister GC, Dixon JH. Southmead & Weston General Hospital.
Hip International/ Vol. 9 no. 3, 1999 / pp 148-150
- Auditing the preoperative assessment of colorectal cancer patients: are we achieving the guidelines?
Davies RJ, Crowther MAA, Longman RJ, Durdey P and Thomas MG. Bristol Royal Infirmary.
Published abstract - Annals of the Royal College, September 1998.
- Trauma and Orthopaedics in the Transkei
World Orthopaedic Concern, Issue No 75 May 1998
Mr Crowther has had a broad training and wide experience in Orthopaedic and Trauma surgery. He underwent basic surgical training in Bristol and as a junior surgeon spent six months experiencing the management of trauma in rural South Africa. His higher surgical orthopaedic training as a specialist registrar was based in Bristol. He undertook two specialist fellowships overseas at the Melbourne Shoulder and Elbow Centre, Australia and the Cape Shoulder Institute, Cape Town, South Africa. He has been awarded The Certificate of Completion of Specialist Training and is therefore privileged to be listed in the General Medical Council Specialist Register. He has a major interest in sports trauma and Mr Crowther has a particular interest in shoulder and elbow reconstruction.
Peer Review Audit
Mr Crowther is involved in the systematic critical analysis of his own and his colleagues' standards of medical care as required by the Department of Health. His revalidation was completed in November 2013.
In 2006, Mr Crowther was awarded the Postgraduate Certificate in Medical Education (Teaching and Learning for Health Professionals) from the University of Bristol. He works in a teaching hospital and is, therefore, responsible for tutoring junior doctors, medical students, physiotherapists and nursing staff. For 5 years he organised the regional postgraduate teaching programme until January 2012 when he took up his appointment as the Training Programme Director for Trauma & Orthopaedic Surgery in Severn Deanery of HEE SW.